5.13.2011

the story of a coffee table...our coffee table



It's kind of funny that they are called coffee tables, don't you think? Do you really know many people that actually set their coffee or other beverages on the coffee table? Maybe I just don't know that many people.

I met this table a few months before we bought our first house. Wes was studying for the Florida Bar Exam and a guy from his study group asked if he would be interested in purchasing a 60" tv for a deal. Wes, being the wise husband he is, told he had to talk to his mrs. about it. I didn't want a huge tv and said no. Mr. "wanting-to-get-rid-of-his-ginormous-tv" kept pestering Wes and in turn I got pestered. I agreed to go look at this tv (are you wondering when the coffee table comes into the picture? hold your horses, it's coming). We drove about 25 minutes south to Naples, FL. This guy and his wife were newly living in a beautiful gated community and a million dollar or so house (at least that's what it would have been worth back then. Florida's real estate values have gone done the tank since). In their entrance was chaise lounge chair, the said coffee table, an ottoman, an area rug, and a solid wood kitchen table with 4 chairs. In the den was the gigantic tv. I told Mr. TV's wife that I absolutely loved the chaise lounge chair that I saw in the entry way. She explained that they didn't have any room for the furniture that was piled with the lounge chair and Salvation Army would be picking it up in the morning. Mr. TV saw the look in my face that must have screamed "I WANT THAT CHAISE LOUNGE". He struck a deal I couldn't refuse. If we purchased the tv for $500 he would give us all the furniture in the entry way including the chaise lounge.

So, onto the coffee table. This piece of furniture has been a real trooper. It has been tossed into a U-haul truck 6 times as we've moved from place to place. At first we weren't sure where to put it. It was put in the spare room with all the other stuff we would get to some day. It's seen it's fair share of dust. It has been a lamp table. For a while it was my printer/work table. Meaningless stuff has been stored under it as well as on top of it. About a week ago it made its debut as an honest to goodness coffee table. I think it is real happy to be what it was intended to be/do. I'm happy too...I like the coffee table as a coffee table.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Love the coffee table! Maybe you could try eating some of your yummy homemade doughnuts with hot chocolate on it, just to say it has been a "coffee/hot chocolate" table.

Hope you are doing well. I have sure been thinking of you lately!

Charity said...

Love the colors in this room. The dark wood of the coffee table blends well with the other colors. I'm sure it feels as though it fits right in! :) Very comfy looking and yet stylish and modern.